Friday, January 30, 2015

MAking MemΦries

Written by: Alex Martins
One of the best parts of joining a sorority like Alpha Phi is that you have sisters from around the country, and you can spend your breaks traveling with them. This winter break I had the pleasure of exploring Nashville with my best friend and roomie Rachel Ahlemeier. We went to a St. Louis Blues game December 30th and decided to stay another night to ring in the New Year.

Nashville is such a cool city filled with interesting people, music, and sights. We got the chance to walk down Broadway, the main strip in Nashville. It was lined with iconic shops, bars, and restaurants. We explored all day, ate the best pulled pork sandwiches, and I even bought my first pair of cowboy boots.

Nashville is the epicenter of country music and we got a little taste of that. On New Years Eve there was a free outdoor concert on Broadway, some performers included Lady Antebellum and Gavin DeGraw. We pushed our way to the front row and enjoyed the music, all while waiting for midnight and the music note to drop. We counted down from 10 and once the clock struck midnight, confetti flew everywhere and Rachel and I were screaming and hugging in true sorority sister fashion. If you ever have the chance to ring in the New Year with your sisters I highly suggest you take it. It was an experience I’ll never forget.