Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Sister Amber Smith Interns in Brussels, Belgium

Written by Amber Smith - PC12

            This summer I moved to Brussels, Belgium to work for the world’s largest news agency, Thomson Reuters. Basically, what we do in the TV department is report, take video and edit video that we then sell to clients worldwide to use on their stations.  76 clients around the world, including CNN, used one of the stories I worked on. It all still seems a little bit surreal.
            Since Brussels is the capital of the EU, I get the opportunity to work European Union Summits, which are meetings with all of the EU presidents and prime ministers.  I have interviewed Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, British Prime Minister David Cameron and more. You could definitely say that this is not your average “fetch some coffee” type internship because I have been given so many amazing opportunities.
            The program that I am on is the Brussels Exchange program through MU Journalism Abroad. For the program, we have internships Monday through Thursday, an international reporting course and a Belgian culture class at a local university.
            My experience abroad has been about so much more than work and study, though. I have traveled all over Europe. My favorite memories include spending the Fourth of July on Lake Geneva, seeing the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night, eating way too many Belgian waffles, climbing the Swiss Alps, seeing the Anne Frank house, and taking a canal tour in Amsterdam.
            There are no words to describe this experience but it is definitely something I will remember for the rest of my life. It’s been an amazing summer, but I am definitely missing my Alpha Phi sisters. Can’t wait to be reunited in a month!