Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Congratulations to our Future Veterinarian!


Written by: Jamie Selman PC14

Surprisingly, I do not have the typical story of most college veterinary students who have known since a young age that they wanted to be veterinarians. My memories as a young child would be more accurate if I were sitting on the couch watching my younger sister give our dog a checkup with a toy stethoscope.  My sister and I have always loved animals. She wanted to be a veterinarian all her life, while I didn’t even think of it as a career option until my senior year of high school. I became interested in veterinary medicine after my dog started having thyroid problems and was seemingly at the vet every other week.  I spent a lot of time in the clinic with her and soon called local veterinarians to see if I could come in and shadow them at their offices.

When I was looking at schools to apply for undergrad, Mizzou peaked my interest. It had a program called “Pre-Veterinary Medical Scholars” which was essentially a pre-acceptance into Mizzou’s vet school if I was accepted as a high school student.  I was accepted late in my senior year of high school, and consequently decided to attend Mizzou.


During my undergrad I have been fortunate enough to shadow at Mizzou’s vet school and experience hands-on participation as an Animal Science major. I have gotten a lot of practical experience and knowledge about livestock animals throughout my coursework and have had the privilege to view a tie back surgery on a Budweiser Clydesdale. Every week I am thankful to handle and learn more about live animals, and that is unprecedented to any other major at Mizzou. Although it is a challenging and time consuming path, I truly believe every second of hard work will be worth it in the end.  It is bittersweet that my undergrad years are coming to a close, but I know the real journey is starting next year.


After diligently completing all of my pre-vet scholar requirements I was accepted into the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine for the fall of 2016!  I am so excited to start my journey in becoming a veterinarian.  After I graduate in four years I hope to do a surgical internship and eventually open my own small animal practice. Most of all, I am excited to have the opportunity in working every day to advocate for animals that do not have a voice to speak for themselves.