Tuesday, July 19, 2016

From Columbia, Missouri to London, England


Written by: Catherine Howser PC 14

          I took a huge step out of my comfort zone by taking on London this summer for study abroad. This past April after all of the countless paperwork, meetings, appointments, and added anticipation I had finally been accepted into the study abroad program.  

I chose to go to London partly because they speak English… but mostly because of its rich architectural history. My major is interior design in architectural studies, so London seemed like the perfect place to go as well as the perfect place to put on my resume. I’ve always wanted to live in a big city and this was my chance to experience it and cross something off my bucket list. I was so excited and ready to test my traveling abilities as I flew out on June 6th to London, England.



            Looking back, there are so many initial concerns when deciding to study abroad. I had never been this far from home without my family. Not to mention, I had not even traveled outside of Columbia, Missouri for this amount of time in my life, not even for summer camp. Although, I would have to say London has been the ultimate “summer camp." I have learned so much about the city, the country, and myself over the last 6 weeks.

            While in Europe I have been taking two classes, one over censorship in British films and another centered around the architecture in London. These classes have been challenging but definitely well worth the six credits.

                                           

In addition to classes, I have had a lot of free time to spend doing touristy things, which include riding the London Eye, seeing a play on Piccadilly Circus, climbing the 500+ stairs to the top of St. Paul’s Cathedral, and of course, seeing Beyoncé perform in Wembley Stadium! Not only did I explore all over the city but also visited a few places in England as well. I took a day trip to the pebble beaches in Brighton Beach, the Roman Baths in Bath, and the mysterious Stonehenge in Salisbury, England. I was even lucky enough to experience a weekend trip to Amsterdam to visit the Anne Frank House. 

This past weekend I went up the Eiffel Tower and visited the Louvre Museum in Paris. I tried macaroons at the same bakery where the notorious Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl got hers and I ate at Kim and Kanye's favorite burger place in Paris, called Ferdi. I also saw part of the Love Lock Bridge, Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Arc de Triomphe! Traveling to Paris was by far my favorite part of my six week journey through Europe.  Although, I can’t wait to come back home to America where I can get the perfect burger, drive my own car, and finally see my sisters!